Every Harmony House cat is
a "kitten at heart" for many years. Cats do not reach full maturity until the age of 3 years, and many love to race and play like kittens all their life. Because of this, please consider all the cats when you are ready to adopt. An adult cat can be the ideal choice if you work all day, or if you wish to adopt a companion for your current pet. Whether you want a mellow lapcat or a bundle of energy, our adoption counselors will help you choose the cat that is right for you.
Wednesday & Thursday—2-5 pm
Saturday & Sunday—1-5 pm
Adopters must arrive no later than 4pm to allow adequate time for a tour and to meet all the cats and kittens. We encourage adopters to come as early as possible to spend time with all the cats and kittens available for adoption.
When you arrive at Harmony House, you will be assisted by one of our adoption counselors. These trained staff members are ready to help you select the right cat or kitten for your unique lifestyle and home environment. In addition, counselors will offer you information on the types of cat food and litter your new pet is used to and the types of scratching posts that are most popular with cats. Adoption counselors will also give you advice on introducing a cat or kitten to any pets already in your home.
All Harmony House adopters must:
• Be 21 years or older
• Be currently employed or show proof of a monthly source of income
• Live in a house, condo or apartment where cats are welcome as pets
• Have telephone or cellphone service
All the members of the household must be present at the time of
the adoption - which includes family, roommates, and especially children.
The adopter must present
1) A government-issued photo ID such as a driver's license, state photo ID, or passport to verify your age
2) A copy of a current bill or statement to verify your current address. This can be a utility bill, credit card statement, or bank statement. If you pay your bills online, you may print a copy at home to show the adoption counselor or display the bill on your Smartphone.
Effective 1/1/16, our adoption fee will be $100 for a kitten or adult cat up to 7 years of age, and $50 for cats 7 years or older, and includes the following services performed prior to adoption:
- Spay / neuter surgery
- Vaccinations for rabies, distemper, rhinotracheitis and calicivirus
- Treatment for fleas, earmites, and internal parasites
- Testing for Feline Leukemia and FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus)
- AVID Microchip
Harmony House is located at
2914 N. Elston Ave., Chicago, IL 60618.
Harmony House spends an average of $200 for veterinary care, food and supplies for each healthy cat or kitten admitted, sometimes more for injured cats. On the day of admission, we require an Intake Fee of $150 for each cat or kitten that requires full medical care, and $75 per cat or kitten if they are already spayed / neutered, and up to date on vaccinations, worming and tests. Cats are admitted as space allows on a case by case basis. Harmony House does not keep a Waiting List for admissions since we receive so many admission requests each day.